They begin by thoroughly exploring your needs and wishes, as well as your house’s structure and systems. They will do this over the phone with you and in person at your house. They will use a variety of tools that measure the draftiness, insulation, electricity, fossil fuel use, and other factors that influence the performance of the house.
Using a whole-house approach, they determine which repairs, upgrades, and replacements produce the best combination of comfort, air quality, and energy efficiency. Vesta relies on their extensive hands-on experience with northwest homes, and specific home performance training.
They will present you with a report that describes your home in its existing state, and a retrofit plan listing the recommended improvements and their associated costs. The plan is prioritized to address health and safety first, and then whatever is necessary for your comfort; every item will improve your efficiency. Because they are a general contractor, they can commit to a fixed price for doing the retrofit work; this feature distinguishes them from other audit services who may provide just the analysis.
Every home is unique, and specific improvement options are different for each client. Because their service follows a performance-based approach, Vesta is not wedded to a particular technology, and can offer retrofit solutions that span the range of available products and techniques. Their process allows you to choose the optimal plan, based on your wants, schedule, and budget. They also provide information about applicable government and utility incentives and financing.
With their integrated approach, there is a smooth transition between the analysis and retrofit work. Vesta will accomplish the specific requirements in your plan on time and on budget. Typical retrofit work includes air sealing of the building envelope, sealing and upgrades of air handling and electrical equipment, and - where appropriate - targeted insulation and window improvements. Less commonly, upgrades include replacement of major mechanical systems (such as furnaces and hot water heaters) or windows and doors.
Vesta provides the following services:
- Home energy analyses
- Blower door testing
- Infrared thermography
- Combustion safety testing
- Crawlspace and basement air sealing and insulation
- Attic air sealing and insulation
- Wall air sealing and insulation
- Duct repair, replacement, relocation, air sealing, and insulation
- High-efficiency furnace and heat pump installation
- Air filtration system installation
- High-efficiency tank and tankless water heater installation
- Heat recovery ventilator (HRV) and energy recovery ventilator (ERV) installation
- Window and door upgrades
- Renewables (geothermal and solar)
- Energy modeling
- Home performance consulting
- BPI Building Analyst and Envelope Professional
- Pressure Tested Comfort Systems (PTCS)
- Certified Sustainable Building Advisor (CSBA)
- EPA Lead-Safe Contractor
- ALA Healthy Homes
- Northwest Energy Star rater